A ‘Freigeist’ fellow: for the Volkswagen Foundation this means a young researcher with a strong personality, a creative mind, an ability to identify and use freedom, dedicated to overcoming resistance. If necessary, he or she will be a free spirit, enjoying the unexpected, even unexpected difficulties. A ‘Freigeist’ fellow opens up new horizons and combines critical analysis with imagination and innovative solutions. By thinking ahead the ‘Freigeist’ fellow will act as a catalyst in overcoming existing disciplinary, institutional and even national boundaries.
- area of research: all disciplines
- type of funding: own position (head of junior research group)
- depending on the nature of the project, up to 2.2 million euro for two funding phases
- up to 5 (+3) years or 6 (+2) years
- outstanding junior researchers who wish to carry out research at the boundaries between established fields of research
- prerequisites: PhD degree no longer than four years prior to submission; linked to research institution in Germany; completed change of academic environment and research sojourn abroad
- additional benefits: funding for communication of science and research; special family related benefits; additional funding for refugee scholars and scientists; training programs